Thursday, February 28, 2008

PDFEdit - Editing PDF in Linux

Did you ever had the need to alter a PDF file ? For me, it doesn't happen very often, but when it does I can only think of Acrobat Writer. I know I have also searched the Internet for some free tool, but it's not easy to find one. I've searched for "editing pdfs in Linux" before and come up with nothing but some technique involving saving each page to PostScript, then editing on an image editor, etc...
So it was with a bit of surprise that I found PDFEdit. It does its job well and has lots of features. At first glance seems like an application that would be very well known. But it's not the case, and it definitely deserves more spotlight. Check the screenshot below (taken from PDFEdit website):


You can add text, highlight sentences, add pictures, etc. Almost like any other text processing tool. Very cool.

2 comentários:

Anonymous said...

If you just need to add text to an existing PDF, I found Scribus works pretty well too. For this kind of use case I think using PDFEdit might be overkill.

Carlos said...

I wasn't aware Scribus could do that. Thanks. I don't know if I would classify overkill using PDFEdit, though. Adding a text box is just as simple and I don't normally have the need for Scribus anyway :) However, the good thing about Scribus is that every distribution has it :)