Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Open Source Windows

Ever wanted M$ Windows to be free ? or even better, Open Source ?
You have two choices: you can wait that M$ does it, or you can try ReactOS. ReactOS is an open source initiative to create a free operating system, fully compatible with M$ Windows. Seems a very strange concept, but why not ? Linux is a free implementation of Unix...
And no, it's not just a concept...it works ! At least, what I've tried, which wasn't much...just the basic apps that came with it (notepad, explorer....). First impression: it looks like the real thing, except the four buttons on the taskbar representing four virtual desktops, which is something I never understood why M$ never implemented. I didn't try to install other applications, but trusting on their website, ReactOS can run, for example, the games Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex. I don't know if everything works smoothly, but if you don't have a M$ license and want to use a few Windows applications, you don't loose anything by trying it. The download is small and if you don't want to install it right away, they also have a livecd. And if it works you just saved some money ;)
I don't know if ReactOS developers will have any legal issues with it in the future. And I'm not saying that I feel it it's not legal. I don't. The code is not derived from Windows. It's all GPL code (they work closely with the Wine project). However, if M$ feels threatened in any way, I'm sure they can find a legal issue somewhere.

0 comentários: